Sunday, December 13, 2009

MTV's Jersey Shore OR This Show Makes Me Too Depressed To Think Of A Clever Title For This Post

I am not sure what I can really say about MTV's new show Jersey Shore that hasn't already been covered by other commentators or the no doubt forthcoming indictment from a U.N. war crimes tribunal.

That being said, I think the most depressing fact about this show is that it is reality television in the strictest sense. Its terrible and exploitative, except the people being exploited don't seem to really care about it beyond the fact that they get to live in a sweet house all summer. These are not young wannabe media products, these are actual human beings who, to the best I can determine, are not exaggerating their behaviors for the cameras. I have been to the Jersey shore (LBI, Sea Isle and a few other locales but not the Seaside Heights featured on the show) and witnessed first hand the horrors that these people inflict upon humanity, indeed, upon the very concept of human civilization. Every time I see a fist being pumped, a little part of me dies.

The horror, the horror. Exterminate the brutes.

No comments: