Sunday, June 22, 2008

Further Thoughts on the Marvel Film Universe

To add to my post below, I'd like to share a geeky memory. When I was younger, somewhere between the end of elementary school and the beginning of middle school I was at the height of my comic book love. Specifically, my love for Marvel comics. I was a Marvel Zombie. At one point I was buying almost every single Marvel comic because it tied into the Onslaught* crossover. Which in some cases, was really stupid, because the tie-ins could be really dumb, as in Ghost Rider casually mentions he could be helping everyone in New York fight Onslaught and yet somehow the cover reads "ONSLAUGHT TIE-IN! DON'T MISS IT!" Needless to say, I was really excited about anything Marvel. So when one fateful Saturday, the Sci-Fi Channel advertised a "Might Marvel Movie Marathon," I was ready for a new change of pants.

This was before Spider-Man, before Blade. At this point there hadn't been any Marvel heroes on the big screen aside from Dolph Lundgren in The Punisher(which I hadn't seen), so it was exciting for me to see all these TV movies, like The Incredible Hulk Returns**, The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Captain America II: Death Too Soon, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange. I don't recall much of these movies except that they had very little to do with the source material and they mostly sucked(except for the Hulk ones). But at the time, it was exciting to simply see any kind of live-action media featuring these characters. 

Now, while I don't wish a return to crappy low-budget versions of Marvel characters on television, I feel that certain characters would benefit from small-screen exposure before a movie was attempted. Specifically, a Daredevil series would benefit greatly from a serialized format. If it was given the production value of a top-tier series like Lost, and with creators of a high caliber, it could easily be one of the best shows on television. People complain all the time about the glut of comic book movies, well, I think its time to bring comic books back to television.

*Onslaught was a villain that was the result of Magneto and Professor Xavier's minds making a baby. It was an ugly stupid baby.

** The Incredible Hulk Returns features Thor. And the guy who plays Thor looks like the wrestler Triple H, which leads me to believe that Triple H playing Thor wouldn't be as bad as I first thought. 

3 comments:

Giacomo said...

That's an amazing idea! You'd definitely need the right people involved with writing/acting and such - and of course, the right character - didn't they attempt a Blade series on Sci-Fi or something? And didn't it suck hard?

ps - what about Deadpool? I think that could work. For non-Marvel - I was always a fan of Stray Bullets - and I think 100 Bullets would work better on Television than movies, No?

(ps - not that I know what I'm talking about - I barely scratch the surface of possibility with my knowledge of comics and their universes)

Paul DeKams said...

They did attempt a Blade series, and while I didn't see it, I'm pretty sure it was cancelled quickly. Your examples are great too. Any concept could work really, it's just a matter of having the right people and the right budget, two factors that rarely seem to come together.

Christopher said...

Cinemax used to show GIANT-SIZED MAN-THING after midnight. David Duchovony narrated.