Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Very Pauly Christmas Part 1: It's a Wonderful Life

This will be the first of a series of Christmas movies I'll be writing about over the next month. Here's my list:
It's a Wonderful Life
Gremlins
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Die Hard
Eastern Promises
Home Alone 1 & 2
Scrooged
Jingle All the Way
Muppet Christmas Films & Specials

There isn't any sort of unifying theme amongst these films, they're just some of my favorite Christmas movies. I might throw in some Christmas episodes of old television shows, too. So without further ado,

It's a Wonderful Life
was a film I would always watch on NBC after the Thanksgiving Parade and before everyone would come over for dinner. For whatever reason, they've stopped showing it in that time frame, so I picked it up on DVD a year or two ago. However, this film, and others like it, are ones that I prefer to watch as a network broadcast. I enjoy the breaks that tell me "It's a Wonderful Life will be right back" or remind of the fact that I'm watching It's a Wonderful Life on NBC. There was just something comforting in the whole network holiday movie presentation package.

Anyway, there's not much I can say about the film except that it's overlooked how many hilarious one-liners there are.
"What d'you mean you don't like coconut?"
"Listen, brainless."
"I like him" "You like every boy!"
"This is an interesting situation!"
"He's making violent love to me, mother!"
While only one of these lines is actually said by Jimmy Stewart, it's funnier to think of any line in film as if Jimmy Stewart said it.

I don't have much else to say, other than if you don't love this film, or if you don't think you love this film, please give it another shot and you'll find that is as hilarious as it is sentimental. And if that doesn't work out for you, check out the alternate ending below, as done by SNL in 1992:


2 comments:

Giacomo said...

I was afraid you had left off Jingle All the Way, and did a LITERAL sigh of relief when I double checked. That is slightly messed up.

If you allow me, after I am done w/ exams I could possibly shoot you a review of The League of Gentlemen Christmas Special. It has become required Holiday viewing since I saw it 3 years ago.

Giacomo said...

P.S. I demand Chris or Kyle get on this and give me (and Pauly's mom) a nice review of the Star Wars Christmas Special.