Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 7: Creepshow 2

Like many of the movies I'll be tackling over the next month, Creepshow 2 is a wonderful movie that I found for five dollars. Buying a movie blind for five dollars is much more fun than stopping to watch a movie on cable. It's very low risk gambling. Yeah, you're out five bucks if it sucks, but its only five bucks. And if it's awesome, then, well, you only paid five bucks for it! Creepshow 2 kinda falls in the middle though. I'm happy with about two dollars and sixty eight cents of my purchase.

I still haven't seen the first Creepshow, but I've been aware of both movies for awhile, mostly because I knew George Romero and Stephen King were involved. They were writers and producers in the case of the sequel, though in the end, I saw a little bit more Romero than King in the film. Mostly in the villains of the stories, in that they have little to no redeeming qualities, as it is in Romero's Dead films. His bad guys are usually cartoonishly bad, and that touch is really evident in Creepshow 2 in the characters of "Fat Stuff," "Horny Teen 1," "Horny Teen 2," and "Rich Lady."

The main reason I'm pretty "meh" on Creepshow 2 is the pacing. Each of the three stories is paced as if part of an individual television show, not as a part of a whole. The slow pace pretty much only works in the case of the first story, which involves a slow and sleepy small town, wherein a wooden Indian takes revenge for the murders of elderly shopkeepers. The second takes forever to get to the murders of horny teens by pollution and the third involves a rich woman who runs over a hitchhiker who won't die. I was pretty much done watching the movie and reading a book about halfway through. I stopped giving a shit after the third line from the whiny teen interrupted the horny teens from getting it on.

Plus, none of these stories captured my attention as much as an episode of Tales from the Crypt. Creepshow 2 seemed to be lacking the energy, and real wicked sense of humor that was present in all the Tales from the Crypt episodes I've seen. Both are working from or inspired by the same source material, the horror comics of the 1950's, but Creepshow 2 didn't seem to pull it off as well. 

$2.68 out of $5.00

2 comments:

Giacomo said...

I love the middle story of Creepshow 2 (the Raft) but the other two are forgettable. You should see the first Creepshow as well - MUCH better. Father's Day, Lonesome Death of Jordie Verel, They're Creeping Up on You...so many good ones - plus you get awesome stars like Leslie Nielson and Ted Danson, and of course - the great ADRIENNE BARBEU!

Christopher said...

I can't wait to build my Adrienne Barbeu-bot