Thursday, July 17, 2008

Interweb...EXPLODES!

The trailer for the Watchmen movie is up.

I've watched it once so far.

I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I mean, it looks cool...but that's also my concern. The fact that it looks cool. Based on interviews, it seems like Zach Snyder wants to be as faithful as possible to the source material, but I don't know if it looks like Watchmen to me. That feeling could be because this is Watchmen as filtered through Zach Snyder, it looks very similar to 300 and Dawn of the Dead(2004). It could also be that the slickness, the coolness of it, is part of a commentary on the modern superhero film. 

I don't know yet.

It's just a trailer. I'm not bounce off the walls excited like when I saw the trailer for X2, or Iron Man, or The Dark Knight. But there's a little part of me that's excited. A little part that's just itching to go back to the Apple site and watch it again. And a slightly larger part of me that wants to go see if I can watch it through the internet connection on my PS3 in HD. 

But I am excited.

A little bit.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Well, looking at it, it seems to have the wrong visual aesthetic. (I.e. it reflects more Zack Snyder's visual tics than Dave Gibbons, such as the color palette.) Of course, there has never been a good adaptation of an Alan Moore comic (see also: LXG, FROM HELL, CONSTANTINE, and perhaps SWAMP THING, but that may have been based more off of the early Len Wein/Bernie Wrightson stuff) and it may well indicate he writes unfilmable properties. I'd love to see a LOST GIRLS movie, which come to think of it, would be a great Paul Veerhoven project.

That being said, I enjoyed the parts of 300 that I saw, and I think the director's style fits well with the Frank Miller comic. WATCHMEN, however, is a bit more cerebral and the action elements are mostly incidental to the story. So I don't think its going to be very useful to ever attempt a comic-to-film comparison here.

Seth said...

There's an interview with Snyder in the latest Entertainment Weekly, and he's really critical of other comic book movies and I think he says at one point, "The Hulk? Come on!" or something condescending like that. My problem is that Hulk fans liked The Incredible Hulk. I don't think Watchmen fans will like his movie. I never read it all the way through, but looking at the trailer, it didn't at all make me think of the comic.

He may be working from the "best" source material there is, but that doesn't mean it will result in the "best" movie.